This is a simple way of registering your class on your interactive whiteboard. It is quite a visual way for both yourself and the pupils to see. They like to interact with the whiteboard and as long as they understand that they only ever move themselves across the board, then it is an accurate way of registering the class.
What you need to do:
- Using your whiteboard software, create a new whiteboard that will be your daily interactive register.
- Split the board in half vertically.
- On the left side, write every child’s name. Alternatively, you could add a photo of each child. Remember to put the names or photos of shorter children lower down otherwise it leads to jumping to reach their name!
- On the left side, write something to signify that those children aren’t in school (e.g. ‘Away today’ or ‘Absent’).
- On the right side, write something to signify that those children are in school.
- Save the file but don’t save it every day, as you will have to move all the names or photos back!
What the children do:
- As they enter the class, the first task they do is to move their name or photo from the left side of the board to the right side of the board.
Pupils could be directed to do a task once they have registered on the board, e.g. read their book, or other early morning work (EMW) as part of their routine.